Friday, May 8, 2009

Mommy's Day, celebration of birth

My friends who know me and how I feel about children know that I probably won't be a mother any time soon...if at all. As many of my friends/family tell me, it is hypocritical to despise small children/babies considering I used to be one. Blah blah blah...you can't tell me that parents don't wish they could give their kids away every now and then, especially when they're acting like a-holes.

What I do appreciate is my family, especially my mom for birthing me from her loins. I came back home tonight to spend this weekend with my family. My mom, dad and I were sitting around watching "Baby's Mama" and comically reliving the birth of my older brother and me.

First thing to know about my older brother is that he was almost a month LATE. He wouldn't come out. Lazy bastard was stubborn as a mule from his zygote stage. But when he decided to grace the family with his presence, he was out in 45 minutes. My brother was born on June 11, 1981, and my mom's birthday is December 11th. So, there is some number connection in the cosmos with them. My brother was the CUTEST baby I have ever seen. He was like a rolly-polly teddy bear baby.

I, on the other hand, was NOT the cute baby. I came out kinda weird lookin' (and some would argue that the stage is not over yet). I was 2 days early, because I believe to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late and if you're late, don't show up. My mom was telling me tonight that she didn't really feel any pain when her water broke and she felt fine until she got into the hospital. But, like my brother, mine was a quick birth--1 hour baby! I was born on April 15, 1983...and my dad is CFO/CPA. Take THAT for karma! But my dad, speaking as a CPA, believes I am the best tax break he & my mom ever got, and I don't disagree.

Growing up, my brother and I had BLEACH blond hairs. Yeah, have no idea how that happened. Look at my picture...I have dark dark brown hairs. My brother looks like my mom's dad, may he rest in peace. While I look like my dad, even though I don't see it and still feel like the milkman's baby.

Many arguments, broken bones, sports teams, traveling and school later, my brother and I are adults. My parents are empty nesters...until I come home with Will and Grace, and then it's game on. Spending time with my family while I'm home is relaxing and needed. Work and Chicago can really distract me from being appreciative and contemplative of the blessings I have been given and have worked for in my life.

My mom has had her times...there were times I didn't know if I could look at her without wanting to tear her face off. But in the end...in the reality of it all...I respect her and thank her for my life.

Mother's are a force to be reckoned with. Their power, strength and intelligence is insurmountable. I would challenge any man/father to do half of what their wife/mother has done for them and their children without being asked or told. It is an internal, natural ebb and flow. And while I cannot see myself with children, I hope that if the blessing comes along that I can learn from my own mother and my friends who are mothers for guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment