Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's blizzard and earthquake season in Chicagoland

Only in the Midwest, and around Chicagoland,can the two polarized natural occurrences of a blizzard and earthquake happen simultaneously. Yes, it can happen.

Snow started falling the evening of Monday, January 8th and has been consistent since. We were supposed to get 6-10 inches over night, but I think yesterday got the brunt of the hit. It wasn't as bad as the East coast getting foots upon foots of snow. And while the swirling specks of snow are beautiful, I would never have thought that at around 4am this morning, we would have an earthquake (ranked at a 4.3 I'm told)!

Is it only me or is an earthquake in the midst of a blizzard just odd?

This earthquake is the second I remember happening in the past few years. A couple years ago, I woke up to my bed shaking. I sat up and looked across the room to see my dresser rocking back and forth with some spare change on top of the dresser sliding to the floor. It wasn't a HUGE earthquake, but my IKEA furniture isn't that stable.

My first thought was NOT an earthquake. Why would I think of something so obvious? Instead, I seriously thought there was a demon/devil in my room shaking my bed. I was FREAKED OUT! After a few seconds, the shaking stopped and I laid in bed clutching my blanket to my chest. It wasn't until I woke up and caught the news of the earthquake that I was ok. Otherwise, I would have slept somewhere else!

For this morning's earthquake, I was fast asleep at 4am and didn't fully wake up. But in my dream, I sort of remember thinking something was moving in my bedroom. It was about 50 miles Northwest of Chicago, almost at the WI border. My cousin in WI felt it.

Just goes to show you, our earth is a magical thing/place. Random things happen all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment