Monday, January 26, 2009

Travel itinerary includes a departure from Ronald Reagan International Airport

Just got back into Chicagoland after a 6-day tour around part of the U.S. A business trip began the trip with a flight into Baltimore airport on Wednesday morning via Southwest. In no sense of the phrase would I consider myself a travel snob. I absolutely love flying Southwest out of Midway. And quite honestly, I feel sorry for Midway airport. It’s the red headed stepchild of airports in Chicago…it’s in a weird area, people like the largeness that is O’Hare…anyway, I’m getting sidetracked.

As I was leaving our business meeting on Friday, I flew out of D.C. to arrive in my final destination of the weekend, the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Can I just say that being a HUGE supporter of our 44th President, Barack Obama? I was excited to be in the airport and get some inaugural goodies for friends, family and myself. I’ve never been to D.C. (A fact that my mother regrets. D.C. never being a family vaca destination). My driver circled a forest and went over hills, pulling toward the D.C. city limits. The picture of the city overwhelmed me. The Potomac River ran next to us as a guide leading to the grandeur of the city—Arlington National Cemetery, Lincoln Memorial and finally, Washington Monument nestled next to the memorial.

And so ended my scenic tour of D.C. Yes, that was all. I had enough time after my last meeting to get the ride to the airport, check-in, grab a pretzel and head over to my gate. However, along the way, I meandered next to the trinket shops to get the previously mentioned purchases regarding the inauguration. All in all, I didn’t do too badly. Only $125, and that included:
Bobble head Pres. Obama, an Obama bar, magnet and mints for my apartment sitter and her mother, a t-shirt for my friend I was visiting in Minne and a mug for her mother (who LOVES Pres. Obama), postcards and magnets for my friends in TX, a magnet for my British friend who wishes she could have voted, Obama mints for my brother, a magnet & pin for my mom & dad, and an inauguration t-shirt for myself. I don’t have buyer’s remorse at all. I sort of wished I had gotten more.

When my mom and I were talking whilst I sat waiting for our boarding time and looking at my President Obama menagerie, I told my Mom that my next travel destination WILL be D.C. I need to visit my nation’s capital. How could I, as someone who feels they are traveled and worldy not have visited D.C.??? I’m insane. However, I was lucky enough to be in the area to feel some of the excitement and see the smiles and amazement that was the election and inauguration of our 44th President. GOBAMA.

2 comments:

  1. Gobama, indeed! Thanks for the link, Meridith with two i's! I really appreciate it. Your blog looks like it's off to a great start.

    Wendi Aarons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy! I have to say that your letter to Always has been the discussion of my friends for a little while now after we saw it on Facebook.

    Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete